Strawberry Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt Poppy Seed Dressing tastes like summer! It’s healthy, fresh, light, full of bright flavors, and perfect for a summertime lunch or dinner.
Chicken salads are a big favorite of mine. They come together quickly, leave a lot of room for variety and make an awesome lunch (or dinner). The dressing base can be made from avocado oil mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, mashed avocado or even mashed sweet potato.
This particular chicken salad is mayo-free and features a homemade Greek yogurt poppy seed dressing. The salad itself consists of shredded chicken breast, toasted almonds, fresh basil, green onions and strawberries. And, the dressing combines plain whole milk Greek yogurt (I highly recommend pasture-raised, if possible), fresh lemon juice, Dijon mustard, raw honey, sea salt, black pepper and of course, poppy seeds. It’s creamy, tangy, light and just right.
If dairy-based yogurt is not an option for you, try your favorite plain non-dairy yogurt (Greek-style, if possible or adjust amount if using regular due to thinness) or use avocado oil mayonnaise instead. I have not tried it with these alternatives, but I’m sure it would taste great!
As for eating, there’s lots of options: over greens, in a lettuce wrap or grain-free tortilla, alongside roasted or sautéed vegetables (asparagus pairs especially well), with veggie slices and/or grain-free crackers, etc. And, if I’m being honest, I think a glass of rosé would also be a nice accompaniment, especially on a nice summer day!
Cheers and enjoy!
Strawberry Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- Heaping 1 cup fresh diced strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ⅓ cup raw slivered almonds, dry toasted (see instructions)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt, preferably pasture-raised
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the raw slivered almonds and toast, stirring frequently for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken, green onion, strawberries, fresh basil and slivered almonds. Then, pour dressing over mixture and stir to coat.
- Serve over greens, with veggie slices, in lettuce wraps or however your heart desires. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and eat within a couple days.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. Rubies & Radishes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com