These sleep promoting Paleo “gummies” were inspired by a post I came across on Mama Natural’s website, How Tart Cherry Juice Can Help Kids Sleep Better (Adults Too!). I had read her post months ago and filed it away in my brain for natural tips and tricks to try, if my toddler started having sleep issues.
Indyanna (almost 3) generally gets lots of sleep and goes to sleep easily, but only if she is in her crib in her pitch black room. Traveling always does a number on all of us. Even if it is just 1 night away at the grandparents, it takes us several nights to adjust.
Last time we went on a trip, I decided to try tart cherry juice to help her adjust better once we got home. A couple of studies have indicated that tart cherry juice concentrate may increase melatonin production and improve sleep duration and quality.
One study also states, “Tart Montmorency cherries have been reported to contain high levels of phytochemicals including melatonin, a molecule critical in regulating the sleep-wake cycle in humans.”
Gelatin Improves Sleep!
Tart cherry juice concentrate and gelatin together are a powerful combo for better sleep! Plus, I am more comfortable giving these gummies to my toddler than juice. We haven’t ever really given her juice and I don’t want her to get in the habit of expecting drinks to be sweet.
I always make these for her now after we have been traveling and I’ve found that they really do help! She falls back into her sleep routine much easier. She falls asleep without struggling and stays asleep.
These Sleep Promoting Paleo “Gummies” are also great for adults that have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
– I don’t sweeten these at all and they are pretty tart, but Indyanna doesn’t mind. If you prefer them sweeter, you can add some honey.
– I do 1 part cherry juice to 2 parts water. You can do a 1:1 ratio for more potent gummies.
– I highly recommend using grass fed gelatin to get the most nutrients out of this recipe. I like this brand and this brand. Some people that are sensitive to the flavor of gelatin say this brand has a milder flavor.
Sleep Aid: Paleo Sleep Gummies
1 cup tart cherry juice concentrate (I use this kind)
2 – 3 tablespoons honey (optional)
2 cups filtered water
4 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin (I recommend this brand)
Avocado oil or any other healthy, mild tasting oil that will not harden in the fridge (I use this brand)
- In a bowl or a measuring cup, add the cherry juice concentrate and the water. Stir to combine.
- Then set aside 1 cup of the mixture. Sprinkle the gelatin over it and set aside until it absorbs all the liquid.
- In the meantime, heat your remaining juice and honey (if using) in a small saucepan. Don’t bring it to a boil, just get it nice and warm, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat and add the remaining cup of gelatin and juice to the hot saucepan. Vigorously whisk until it is well combined and there are no chunks of gelatin.
- Lightly brush your molds or your glass baking dish with the avocado oil. This will make it easier to get your gummies out of your molds later.
- Carefully pour your gelatin mixture into your molds or baking dish. Transfer to the fridge and allow it to chill and set for 2 to 3 hours.
Click HERE to PIN this post!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. Rubies & Radishes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com