Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Verde

Did you know that gelatin can do wonders for your digestive tract? It has also been shown to improve skin, hair, nails, stretch marks, cellulite and wrinkles. In addition, it reduces inflammation, improves immune function and much much more! Gelatin is a nutrition powerhouse! Learn more about it in THE GELATIN SECRET. .

IMG_0961-2

This is not as much a recipe as it is a tip. When eating a Paleo diet and managing a busy lifestyle, like the vast majority of us do, knowing how to make some really easy meals is key. When I first started the Paleo diet, this was my easy go-to meal and I still make it all the time!

This takes about 3 minutes to prep. Even on the busiest days, I would wake up 5 minutes early and toss this into to the slow cooker before I left for work.

When I have time, I love to make the Paleo Chicken Verde from page 148 of my cookbook. That recipe is sooo good, but it calls for making the salsa from scratch and often on busy weekdays many of us don’t have time for that. This is my cheaters version! I use the Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde. I really don’t like this as an actual salsa, it is too thin and a bit salty, but it works great to make a slow cooker chicken verde! This salsa is not organic, but it is free of preservatives.

IMG_0919 IMG_0923

Since this salsa doesn’t have to be refrigerated, I always keep some in my pantry. I also keep my freezer stocked with some organic chicken thighs. So, all I have to do is pull the chicken out the night before to allow it to defrost, then throw it in the slow cooker before work.

IMG_0965

This recipe can easily be doubled!

Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Verde

Equipment
Slow Cooker (I use this one and love it!)

Ingredients
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
16 ounces salsa verde

1. Add chicken to the slow cooker. Cover with salsa verde and cook on low for 5 hours.
  2. If you are home, you can open the lid at the 4 hour mark and shred the chicken with 2 forks, if not, no worries, it will still turn out fine!
  3. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the slow cooker, leaving the liquid behind.
  4. Salt and pepper to taste and serve. The Trader Joe’s salsa is already quite salty, so it doesn’t require additional salt.

Optional:
The recipe is great as is, but these are some optional things you can do to enhance the flavor.
*Brown the chicken in some ghee or cooking fat of your choice before placing it in the slow cooker.
*Brown the chicken after cooking, if you want it to be a little crispy.
*Thicken the remaining liquid by reducing it. Place it in a pan, uncovered over medium-high heat. Bring it a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cook until it has thickened to your liking. Stir frequently.

We love eating this with some fried plantains or in lettuce wraps!

lettuce wraps

Do you want to see more super simple slow cooker recipes? Let me know in the comments!

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. Rubies & Radishes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Comments

1. says

I put your cookbook on my wishlist…need to try and find a different salsa…TJs lists spices…this could contain MSG or glutamates …. wish I could try it but not worth a reaction. The recipe itself looks amazing. I’ll try it sometime when I find other verde… and yes, I’d LOVE more crockpot recipes!!

• admin says

Fantastic! In my cookbook there is a recipe for making this from scratch! Which is what I do, when I have the time!

2. says

This chicken looks great! I was in Trader Joe’s today and walked straight by the salsa verde without giving it a second thought, but you can bet that I’ll be going back now to pick up a jar… or 3.

3. Jan Wilson says

I would like to cook healthy recipes in my slow cooker. I would appreciate some more recipes please.Jan Wilson.

• admin says

Thanks for the input, Jan! I have lots of slow cooker recipes under the recipe tab, but I’ll work on some more easy ones like this one!

4. Holly says

I’m picking up some TJ’s salsa tonight! This looks perfect for a week night dinner!!! I like the fact that there is no vinegar in the salsa as well!

5. joanna says

is this salsa spicy?? i see there are jalapenos in it. i REALLY wanna make this since i am going to TJ’s today to food shop but i cannot eat spicy food at all.

• joanna says

thanks for the quick reply!! just bought 2 jars of the green salsa at the store as well as the red salsa they had. i figured i would do a huge batch of chicken and add in the red salsa with it. the more meals i can get out of it the better!! i am such a lazy cook haha keep the crockpot recipes coming.

i also just thought that barbeque shredded chicken would be good in the crockpot. do you know of a good paleo BBQ sauce??

6. Leigh J. says

Arsy, your cookbook was my very FIRST Paleo Cookbook and I cook out of it EVERY week! This recipe I will be doing tonight, as making salsa from scratch is still not my forte. lol Thank you for the recipes and the cookbook!

7. Jessica says

Yes, yes, please!! Wednesday nights are \”slow-cooker delight\” nights at our house thanks to busy schedules and 7 of us trying to coordinate school, day shifts, night shifts, study groups and music lessons. Keep \’em coming!!

• admin says

Awesome! I have a ton of slow cooker recipes under my “recipes” tab, but I am working on some easy peasy ones right now!

8. Robert Burgess says

Yes, I would like to see more slow cooker recipes, but something I would like to see even more is a print button on this website. Just sayin\’.

• admin says

Thank you for the feedback! This is on my list of things to look into, as soon as I have a little bit of time!

9. joanna says

thanks. will try that out!!i am sitting here with my second bowl of that chicken!! it is AMAZING. it is definitely spicy to me so i added some raw honey and cinnamon to the top and had it alongside some mashed carrots. it is super flavorful and i can\’t wait to make it again.

10. Jen says

Yes please! I think that is how I first found you as a blogger … didn\’t you have a slow cooker site? Thanks!

• admin says

Awesome! It’s fun to hear from people that have been around here for awhile! I still have a tab with all my slow cooker recipes (enter from the recipes tab) … but, I am wondering if you guys want to see more easy peasy recipes like this?

11. Melanie says

Just made this – was even more lazy! I threw frozen chicken thighs in the slow cooker, added the salsa, set it on low for 8 hours and PRESTO, perfect dinner with cauliflower rice after work.