Gluten-free baking guru, Elana Amsterdam of Elana’s Pantry is at it again! She has already authored two fantastic gluten-free cookbooks, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook and Gluten Free Cupcakes.
She now has a new cookbook, set to be released next month. Her latest book, Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry is a collection of gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and nightshade-free recipes – from dinners to desserts.
I recently had the honor of getting a sneak peek into a few of the recipes from Elana’s latest book. Let me tell you, in typical Elana fashion, these recipes are not only healthy, but also delicious and simple to make!
We tried her Upside-Down Apple Tartlets with Coconut Whipped Cream for our Mother’s Day dessert. My husband and I were eating the whipped cream by the spoonful, I am surprised there was any left for dessert!
I love apple based desserts, they are perfectly sweet without being overwhelming. And like all of Elana’s recipes this is not only for those that don’t eat grains, even your gluten-loving guests will devour this!
Check back later this month for a GIVEAWAY of Elana’s new book! For now, here is the recipe for her delectable Upside-Down Apple Tartlets with Coconut Whipped Cream.
Upside-Down Apple Tartlets with Coconut Whipped Cream
Upside-Down Apple Tartlets
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon vanilla crème stevia
6 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place eight 1-cup wide-mouth Mason jars on a large baking sheet.
- To make the crust, pulse together the almond flour and salt in a food processor. Add the coconut oil and stevia and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- To make the filling, place the apples, apple juice, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl, and toss to combine. Transfer the apples to the Mason jars so that each one is overfull. Divide the remaining juice from the bottom of the bowl between the jars.
- Remove the dough from the freezer, place between 2 pieces of parchment paper generously dusted with almond flour, and roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick. Remove the top sheet of parchment. Using the top
- of a wide-mouth Mason jar, cut out
- 8 circles of dough and place one on
- top of each apple-filled Mason jar.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the juices are bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Serve the tartlets hot out of the oven.
Coconut Whipped Cream
Makes 1 cup
This dairy-free whipped cream recipe calls for full-fat canned coconut milk. The fat is what makes the recipe creamy and luscious; light coconut milk won’t work and results in a watery mess. Serve over Upside-Down Apple-Tartlets.
1 (13-ounce) can Thai Kitchen coconut milk (I used my homemade recipe)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 drops vanilla crème stevia
Pinch of sea salt
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator at least 24 hours before making the whipped cream, so it is well chilled. Chill a metal bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take the coconut milk out of the refrigerator and remove the lid. Gently scoop out the coconut fat, placing it in the chilled bowl. Pour the remaining liquid into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator, saving it for another use.
- Using a handheld blender, whip the coconut milk fat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Whip in the honey, vanilla extract, stevia, and salt.
- Use right away or store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. Rubies & Radishes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com